Thursday, September 21, 2006

Who is the maid?


Having a helper at home is so common now. The number of helpers waiting outside the school during dismissal time is greater than the number of parents/grandparents. Therefore the equation which my kids have in mind is :

Housework + Cooking = Maid/helper

I do have a part time Singapore maid at home, she works in an office in the day (5 days week) & do all the housework (excluding cooking & laundry) in the evening. During the weekend, she will work for us full time :

Housework + Cooking + Babysitting + Coaching = Singapore Maid (aka Me/Mummy)


As a helper, they do have an off day within the month but what about this poor Singapore Maid, she works 7 days a week, 24 hours round the clock (even have to wake up in the middle of the night to make milk, get water for the kids, etc). Even when she is sick, she still have to work (at least the office is better, medical leave is allowed).

Furthermore, helper get paid by their master to send money back to their home country (some even bought big houses in their hometown with these monies) while Singapore maid has to work in the office to get paid in order to satisfy her masters' needs & wants (I want to buy this, I want to buy that, I want to eat this, I want to eat that).

Whenever I ask my kids to clean the house, they will either do it willingly (for the sake of computer games) or they will say "I am not the maid" and walked away. My reply is "so your mum is the maid right?". No response but proved that the above equation is correct.

My hubby will ask the kids to pack the house otherwise they are not allowed to play computer games. There was once, the kids refused to pack the house, he scolded them & asked "daddy & mummy are your maids is it", as usual no response.
The next day, Nickson gave me a call at the office, "Daddy ask whether he & you are maids? Then we all maid meh? Everytime want us to pack the house".

What can I say???
龙生龙,凤生凤
那为什么“女佣”不生“佣人”呢?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, yr son so “cartoon”. Even call to yr office to complain huh?

Chin Family of 6 said...

Yalor, minor minor thing he also call, eg his brother/friend hit him.